Thursday, April 4, 2013

Date Night With My Momma - The Sapphires

The who?  That's what I said when I got the screening invite to watch The Sapphires...  

This movie wasn't on my radar, but it looked like a better option than sitting at home on a Monday night. 

Once I watched the trailer and realized the event was about a mile from my Mom's house, it was a no-brainer to invite her along.  She is a push-over for feel good movies especially if they are from the 60's and include good music. 


Me and my momma: we had a blast! 

Check out the trailer: 





It doesn't take you long to understand why this movie received a ten minute standing ovation at last year's Cannes Film Festival. 

Dave Lovelace is an alcoholic emcee (played convincingly by Chris O'Dowd) who meets four Aboroginal girls from Australia singing country music.  Even though the girls come from extremely humble surroundings; even though they face racism and hatred every day of their lives, they have this determination and absolute belief they are destined to be stars. When they see a newspaper ad seeking "musical acts to entertain the troops in Vietnam", they enlist Dave to help them get there.



One of my favorite scenes; Dave teaching the girls how to put a little soul in their serenade: (about 1:30 into this clip)




There are quite a few laughs and a handful of scary moments.  The scenes shot in Vietnam were beautiful; the vulnerability of the girls very believable.

I think you will be quite surprised by the ending - I know I was.  I think you will find yourself dancing in your seat - I know for sure Mom was.

No,  its not a blockbuster, but it is a fun, uplifting little film.


No comments: