Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Take2ReviewChick Awards Go To....




To quote one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite Oscar movies, Almost Famous:

It's All Happening!!!  Oscar Sunday is upon us!!!!

I think we can all agree, 2013 was a year of FANTASTIC movies - I truly can't remember another year like it. I had an absolute blast screening all the Oscar films, and as difficult as it was, I have chosen the Take2ReviewChick Award Winners.  

Below you will find MY FAVORITES in each category, followed by MY OSCAR PREDICTION in each category.  Most often, I think my favorites will win; but not always!!

Without further ado....

Take2reviewChick Best Supporting Actress
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years A Slave


This category was the most difficult, as there are three actresses who gave phenonemal performances.  Alas, I can only choose one, so I choose Lupita Nyong'o for her heartbreaking role as Patsy in 12 Years a Slave.


My Oscar Prediction:
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave

Her performance in 12 Years of Slave was one of the rawest, bravest roles a black actress must ever face.  She completely transformed herself into the tiniest of all humans;  or biggest if you really think about it.  She is so breathtakingly beautiful and has handled this breakthrough role with such grace, I am really, really rooting for her.


Lupita Nyong'o - 2014 SAG Award Winner

Take2reviewChick Best Supporting Actor 
Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club




Jared Leto  so convincingly played AIDS victim "Rayon," it took several scenes before I even recognized him:  One scene in particular that takes place in Rayon's Fathers Office was so painful to watch, I found myself choking back sobs.  Leto himself tells us that very scene was the most important scene of the entire movie. It was brutal. I fell in love with Jared Leto's soul watching his interviews over the past few weeks.  He is such a kind and gentle man, a true model of compassion and love and understanding.  I very much hope he wins the Oscar, because in  doing so he will give  a voice to all the "Rayons"  of the world and that is 
 something he very much wants to do.

 
My Oscar Prediction:
Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

This was tough for me. I really, really love Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips) - and for a first time actor to pull off that performance, well, it is just unbelievable.  I also LOVED Jonah Hill in Wolfie.  And Michael Fassbender was the meanest, ugliest, most pitiful man ever to walk this earth in 12 Years a Slave.  The only way I would be disappointed in this category would be for Bradley Cooper to win.  Everyone else is deserving.

Jared Leto - 2014 Golden Globe Award Winner



Take2reviewChick Best Actress 
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine


 Cate Blanchett's performance in this movie is outstanding.  She plays Jasmine French, an unsuspecting wife of a man arrested for a Ponzi Scheme (think Bernie Madoff).  Left penniless and forced to move in with her grocery clerk sister, she suffers a nervous breakdown of sorts, and Blanchett nails it.  Such a great role.

My Oscar Prediction:
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine


It appears everyone else agrees with me.  No one else is even biting at her heels.

Cate Blanchett - 2014 Golden Globe Winner



Take2reviewchicks Best Actor 
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street


 Leo's extraordinary performance in "Wolfie" skyrockets him from Actor to full blown Movie Star. Playing Jordan Belfort, an infamous stockbroker of the 90s (and convicted felon),  DiCaprio delivers his best work EVER. I was BLOWN AWAY.  To me, his "best scene" was trying to function during a Quaalude trip that went horribly, horribly wrong.  I  loved him in this role - and I feel like his time has come.


My Oscar Prediction:
Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club



As shocking as it was, McConaughey's appearance wasn't the biggest transformation you see in this film.     What really resonated with me was the emotional transformation he so convincingly expressed.  McConaughey plays Ron Woodroof, a man given 30 days to live - after unexpectedly learning he has HIV.  We quickly learn Ron was never really even living.  He surrounded himself with women only interested in his drugs and money, and with men only interested in his rodeo stories and partying lifestyle.  Once word of his illness got out, he had no one.  

The people in the "HIV Positive" community become his new reality, much to his dismay. The love and compassion he experienced with this new "family" and how he began to love them back -  was in my opinion the most relevant years of his life.  He was given 30 days to live, but he beat the odds and lived over five years longer.

In a movie that was about dying, he taught us more about living.  About acceptance and perseverance. About making your own destiny and never, ever taking no for an answer.

 
Matthew McConaughey - 2014 SAG Award Winner




Take2reviewChick Best Director
Steve McQueen - 12 Years A Slave




Steve McQueen handled Solomon Northup's story with such grace and dignity.  Even in their darkest hours, he molded the characters into people with the slightest glimmers of hope.  He showed us such hatred in one moment, but such love in the very next.  He brought out the absolute best in every actor and gave us a backdrop so beautiful yet so ugly at the same time. 


My Oscar Prediction:
Steve McQueen - 12 Years A Slave

I have faith in the Academy and they will reward Steve McQueen for a job well done, for a movie that will matter in the years to come.




And finally....

Take2reviewChick's Best Picture - 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street



Yep.  It's true.  This movie was by far the most entertaining film of the year.  The actors delivered career defining performances.  I was in love with the over the top wealth and greed, the lavish lifestyles, the "F-You attitudes".  I wanted to BE one of them.  I absolutely loved this movie - and I never wanted it to end.  In all it's filthy glory - Scorsese nailed it.


My Oscar Prediction - 2014
12 Years A Slave


I'll never forget how I felt watching this movie.  We were forced to sit their with our feelings of shame & disbelief or helplessness and rage, depending on the color of our skin.  It was the most difficult movie I have ever watched, and also the most important one.  This film is deserving of the title "2014 Best Picture" and I hope I am right.









 















No comments: