Thursday, December 10, 2015

Brooklyn

With awards season upon us, there are many movies to choose from.  I recently checked out, Brooklyn starring Saoirse Ronan, a historical romance based on a novel by Colm Toibin.  The movie tells the story of an Irish girl who lands in 1950s Brooklyn, where she quickly falls into a new romance. When her past catches up with her, however, she must choose between two countries and the lives that exist within.




Saoirse Ronan stars as Eilis, the young girl who leaves her mother, her sister, and everything she knows behind in the hope of a better life across the pond. And she does a fine job.  Ronan is beautiful and poised – seems perfectly cast for this role.  It’s the love interests that really sank this ship for me.  They seemed weak and not really all that interesting.    Give me a hunky Irish lad such as Michael Fassbender and you will have my attention.  Overall, it is a sweet romance movie;  but I would recommend reading the novel (as was recommended by my daughter Jen,) and then waiting for the DVD on this one.  





No comments: