Sunday, January 31, 2016

Critics Choice Awards 2016

It's hard to believe our trip to California was already two weeks ago.  Time is going by way too quickly.   If you remember last year, I took my oldest daughter, Jessica, as my "plus one".  This year, I took my middle daughter, Jennifer.  We stayed at Hotel Erwin on Venice Beach and had the time of our lives.

Sunday we ordered a fantastic breakfast from room service,  relaxed & got glam for the Critics Choice Awards.  We weren't very happy with the salon we booked, but looking back I think they did a pretty good job.  Isn't Jennifer stunning?!?!




The 2016 Critics Choice Awards were held at the Barker Hangar - a beautiful venue in Santa Monica. The evening started off a little scary when our Lyft driver was directed into a line with several black Escalades, etc.  (We were in a red Jetta).  Before we knew what was happening, doors were being opened and we were directed into a line right along with Mayim Bailik.  We knew we were in the wrong line, but there was nothing we could do!  Thankfully I made eye contact with a handler who could see we were in distress just in time to get us OFF the red carpet.  Jennifer wanted to die.

Once we were safely tucked into the cocktail reception with a glass of wine, we took a few selfies and started to relax.





This was the first year the Critics Choice Awards combined the TV and film ceremonies, so there were hundreds more people than in years past.  There were pros and cons to having that many people, but once we ran into some of our favorite TV actors, we quickly decided we were happy with the decision.


This is my favorite picture of the night for several reasons.  I am a big fan of all three of these amazing actresses.  (Sarah Paulson - American Horror Story, Margo Martindale - Critics Choice Award winner for her Guest Role on The Good Wife, & Holland Taylor - Two & A Half Men)  But the really exciting part of meeting this group and getting Sarah to take our selfie was that it was Sarah & Hollands first red carpet event as a couple.  They are the cutest - just look at the way Holland is looking at Sarah in this picture.  I felt super blessed to spend a few minutes in their bubble.






Another highlight was bumping into Saoirse Ronan (Best Actress nominee - Brooklyn) & Finola Dwyer (Producer - Brooklyn)  They were both lovely.

The awards ceremony was wonderful, & most of my favorites won.  For a full list of winners, click here:  http://bit.ly/1SkCUBs

We met so many wonderful people at the Afterparty I don't even know where to start.  The highlight of the night for Jennifer was spending time talking with Gina Rodriquez (Critics Choice Nominee - Jane the Virgin)  I was so proud to watch her engage with such talent and see how much they enjoyed her as well. 




We also met Hayden Panettiere who was just adorable.




One of my favorite television shows is Transparent, so I was thrilled to have a few minutes with Jeffrey Tambor, who picked up a Critics Choice Award for Best Actor.  Such a gentleman.  I really, really liked him.



As a movie critic, I adore Grae Drake, the Senior Editor of Rotten Tomatoes.  Any chance I have to talk with her, I take it.  She is AMAZING.



Towards the end of the night, Neil Brown Jr. (Straight Outta Compton) walked by, and Jen "highfived" him, saying what a great job he was doing hosting snapchat that night for EW.  He asked for a selfie and away he went.  The night could not have ended any better when Jennifer checked EW's snapchat and saw this.  #NightMade.





********

The next day we had a lovely lunch on the patio of Don Cuco in Burbank.  I took this beautiful picture of Jennifer (on the right) because I have a similar picture of Jessica from last year (on the left).  I am super blessed.  





Jennifer and I had VIP tickets to the Ellen Show Monday afternoon - we had a great time!




Until next year....







No comments: