Sunday, February 28, 2016

Will it be Spotlight or The Revenant? It's Oscar Sunday and I am ready to make my predictions!

Yes, I have been stalling on posting my predictions because I can't commit!  Now the day is upon us, so I am out of time.  Without further ado....

Best Picture:  Spotlight




The race for Best Picture is the closest in recent history, and I can see why.  While some people say it comes down to three movies - Spotlight, The Big Short or The Revenant - for me it's only two.  If The Big Short wins, I will be disappointed.  Give the Oscar to The Revenant or Spotlight, and I will be a happy girl.  Since I can only pick one movie, I am going to choose Spotlight because it has a great cast, screenplay and a very important story. Tom McCarthy completely won my adoration with the care he took with Spotlight.

Best Actor:  Leonardo DiCaprio



Everyone knows it's Leo's year.  He proved his acting chops long ago, but in The Revenant he took it to a whole new level. His work in this movie will be talked about for years to come.  I can't wait to hear his name called tonight.

Best Actress:  Brie Larson



The nominees in this category are all amazing and gave such wonderful performances, I can't imagine how it will feel to be Brie Larson this evening.  

Best Supporting Actor:  Sylvester Stallone




This is the one category I am most nervous about. This award could go to any one of the actors and I wouldn't have much of an argument.  So this "prediction" is really more about who I WANT to win.  Let's hand the gold to Rocky.

Best Supporting Actress:  Kate Winslet




This is the most confusing prediction I had to make.   While I agree Kate Winslet was brilliant in Steve Jobs, I wasn't a fan of the movie in general.  Close on her heels is Alicia Vikander for her beautiful role in The Danish Girl. I would much prefer to predict her as the winner.  If there were to be a major upset in the winners tonight, seeing Jennifer Jason Leigh winning Best Supporting Actress would be fantastic - and well deserved.

Best Director:  Alejandro Inarritu




I also think George Miller is quite deserving, having received his first ever nomination for the incredible Mad Max Fury Road.  But I just don't see that happening.  The Revenant was spectacularly beautiful while being horrifically violent and that is not an easy schtick to sell. I was completely blown away.  


Animated Feature Film: Inside Out

While Anomalisa is a masterpiece, I don't think it can beat Pixar's sweet movie Inside Out.  

Cinematography:  The Revenant


Tonight, Emmanuel Lubezki could make history in this category, winning for a third time in a row.  He won two years ago for Gravity, and last year for Birdman.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Mad Max Fury Road wins this one.  It's a close, close race.

Costume Design:  Mad Max Fury Road (Jenny Beavan)

Sandy Powell received two nominations this year, for her work on Cinderella and Carol. You would think this would make her a sure win, wouldn't you?  Not so fast.  With tough competition, I think her two nominations will split her votes, and Mad Max will sneak in for the win.

Documentary Feature:  Amy

Cartel Land or The Look of Silence are serious competition, but I think Amy will win.

Film Editing:  Mad Max Fury Road

Brilliant, freaky and incredible.  For the win.

Foreign Language Film:  Mustang

This is the another category where I am following my heart.  Mustang was a beautiful film and I want to see it win.  (But it very well could be Son of Saul)

Makeup and Hairstyling:  Mad Max Fury Road

Those War Boys though...

Original Score:  The Hateful Eight

Original Song:  Til It Happens to You 

We love you Lady Gaga!

Production Design: Mad Max Fury Road



Sound Editing & Sound Mixing:  The Revenant

I will never forget how moved I was by the sound effects while watching The Revenant. It is the experience of a lifetime.

Visual Effects:  The Revenant

I am going with The Revenant, although everyone seems to think Star Wars:  The Force Awakens will win.  It's all about the bear scene for me.

Adapted Screenplay:  The Big Short

Original Screenplay: Spotlight

I have said it a million times, but I am saying it one more time.  The way this story was told was so so important.  The faith was protected, the victims were not sensationalized.  I am so impressed by this film.  I loved it.  





No comments: