Friday, December 30, 2016

The 2016 Take2Review Top Ten Movies of the Year

Everyone always asks me – what is the best movie this year?  Well this year, the answer is La La Land.  Stellar cast – beautiful cinematography and the film brings us something new and different. But being the best doesn't always make you my favorite. 

Without further ado – the Take2Revew Top Ten Movies of 2016:


Honorable Mention -   Everybody Wants Some




Richard Linklater always delivers - and this time he took me on a trip in time to the early 80s.  The soundtrack, the cars, the clothes, THE HAIR!  Everything was styled to perfection. Everybody Wants Some is quite nostalgic, pretty hilarious – and deserves my honorable mention.



 10.  American Honey





One of the best metrics on which I judge movies is simple.  Did it stick with me?  Did I think of it over the next few days?  With American Honey the answer was a resounding yes.  Maybe it was the backdrop of Kansas City in some of the shots, maybe it was my complete love for the characters brought to life in the film, or maybe it is the wanderlust who lives deep inside my soul.  All I can say is I loved this weird little film and could watch it over and over again.



9.  Lion



I have always been a Dev Patel fan, which explains why I stuck with Lion even though it was VERY slow to start.  Most moviegoers may be turned off by the subtitles in the beginning of Lion, but I promise you the movie is totally worth it.  It is a beautiful movie with fantastic acting.  You won't be disappointed. (side note - Dev held the door for me at the Critics Choice Awards and he looks and smells DIVINE)


8.  La La Land


The feel good movie of the year, La La Land is one musical I could get behind.  It is breathtakingly beautiful and showcases Los Angeles at it's very best.  I really, really enjoyed this one.



7.  Audrie & Daisy



Audrie & Daisy is the only documentary that made my Top Ten list this year.  This movie will infuriate you.  And I hope it inspires you.  Everyone should watch it and everyone should be talking about it.  We must keep these terrible things from happening with our youth. 


6.  Nocturnal Animals



Another film that haunted me for weeks after the screening was Nocturnal Animals.  It also stars Amy Adams, the only actress to find her way into my Top Ten in two different movies.  This film was a big surprise to me. The trailer doesn't really give away the movie, and that's a very good thing.  It is a dark story, but I loved it. 



5. Manchester By The Sea



Manchester By The Sea is a gutwrenching film with the best acting of this awards season.  Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Lucas Hedges all deserve serious consideration and, in my opinion, wins.  These characters show us people at their worst, and at their very best.  At times it was hard to tell the difference.  Brutal film.  But worth the pain. 



4.  Captain Fantastic



Captain Fantastic is one of those films that makes you question everything about the way you live your life.  It's about family, unconditional love, mental illness and so much more.  Viggo Mortensen was absolutely amazing in this film.  The actors who portrayed his children;  I am sure we will be seeing much more of for years to come.  I Highly HIGHLY recommend. 


3.  Arrival


No one is more surprised by a science fiction movie landing as my second favorite film than I am, but Arrival blew my mind.  I was completely shocked by the twist in the movie; I didn't see it coming at all.  I cried and cried.  Amy Adams gives the performance of a lifetime.  Brilliant,  beautiful, this movie is everything. 




2.  Hidden Figures



Hidden Figures is the movie we all needed in 2016.  A reminder of how far we have come, and how far we still have to go.  Uplifting, beautifully acted and historical - Hidden Figures was a quiet surprise that snuck up on me at the last minute.  I would love to see Hidden Figures win Best Picture.



1.  Hello My Name is Doris



My favorite movie of 2016 was an easy one for me, and also includes the best movie line of the year:   "It's not IMPOSSIBLE, it's I'M POSSIBLE!"  Hello, My Name is Doris is so charming and lovely I have shared it with all my friends and family and I have watched it multiple times this year.  Sally Field is at the top of her game in this one.  I can't say enough wonderful things.  I absolutely adored it.


No comments: