Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Heat - or rather A Luke-warm Girl Cop Movie



The Heat poster

Uptight FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn (Sandra Bullock) and foul-mouthed Boston cop Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy) couldn't be more incompatible. But when they join forces to bring down a ruthless drug lord, they become the last thing anyone expected: buddies. From Paul Feig, director of "Bridesmaids." (c) Fox


Rated R for pervasive language, strong crude content and some violence

Run Time: 1 hr. 57 min. Comedy Paul Feig

I will admit, I was pretty stoked to see The Heat. Just like the rest of America, I fell in love with Sandra Bullock the minute she was blindsided after her 2009 Oscar win. And who doesn't love the comic timing of Melissa McCarthy?
What could possibly go wrong, right? Unfortunately, it turns out, many, many things...




I probably set myself up by seeing This Is The End a couple of weeks ago because seeing that movie set my comedic expectations at a whole new level. I doubt any movie will ever stack up to that one. Or maybe I couldn't get past the annoying audience laughter during The Heat . They literally laughed after every single punch line. I couldn't tell if I was in a movie theater or watching reruns of Three's Company. Have I mentioned before how much I dislike laugh tracks?

Don't get me wrong, there are a few laughs. The bar scene was pretty funny and Bullock and McCarthy have great chemistry. But I kept thinking to myself "haven't I seen this before?" 
Sandra Bullock plays a socially awkward nerdy girl who doesn't realize how beautiful she really is...(see Miss Congeniality & Miss Congeniality 2 and Two Weeks Notice and so on and so forth)


It was disappointing, but not a total waste of time. I still had fun and I was still entertained. And hey, not everyone agrees with me. I heard the Movie Critic ahead of me say "that was the funniest movie I have seen in a very, very long time. I had tears running down my face." 

Whhhhhhaaaattt? Yep - we were in the same theater.

Just keep the James Franco apocalyptic thriller comedies coming, thanks!







1 comment:

C said...

I'm going to see this with my friend next week with low expectations. No matter how disappointed we are at the end of these kinds of movies, we ALWAYS see them. I love both of these women so much. Why is it so hard to make really funny movies for really funny ladies?