Friday, October 11, 2013

Captain Phillips - A MUST SEE


The true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years.  

Rated PG-13   - 134 minutes 

 
 I screened Captain Phillips on Wednesday night, and I have been thinking about ever since.  That is the true measure of a great movie.  It sticks with you.  You want to learn more.  Research, research, research.  But whatever you do, wait until AFTER you see the movie to do your own research.  I knew the story, yet was still so riveted that I destroyed at least two theater napkins into tiny little shreds of paper.  I can't imagine watching it through the eyes of someone who has never heard of Captain Phillips.


Because I don't want you to know the story, it's hard to write a review.   Trust me on this.  The less you know the better.  But here is what I will tell you:
 
I am not a scary movie fan, but because of my gig as a movie critic for KQTV, I must see a few. I have seen The Conjuring.  I have seen The Purge.  And nothing in either of those two scary movies compared to the sheer terror you feel when looking into the eyes of the Somali Pirates in this film.
 


 
The self appointed "captain" of the pirates, Muse, is played almost effortlessly by a young man named Barkhad Abdi. (second from left).  I will be very disappointed if he does not get a Best Supporting Actor nod. 

Abdi fled Somalia with his parents when he was 7 years old.  Last year he was working in his brother's mobile phone store in Minneapolis when he heard about a casting call for Somali-American men for this movie. He was chosed out of 700 other men - and he had absolutely no acting experience.   He speaks about a conversation with the film's director, Paul Greengrass, which resonated with him and helped him get into character::
 Greengrass "took me aside and said, 'You know the similarities between you and the real Muse?'"
Abdi said Greengrass' question caught him off guard.
"I'm thinking that this guy (Muse) is a criminal. Why did you compare me to him?,"' Abdi said he asked Greengrass.
The director's message to Abdi was succinct: Muse took a risk in being a pirate and failed. Abdi took a risk in wanting to become a film actor, and if he didn't do it well, he was going to fail too.
The risk the director alludes to is the possible backlash Abdi might experience in his close-knit Somali community in Minneapolis.  Many Somalian-Americans did not support this movie happen,  fearing it would bring criticism to their community.  Abdi said it is this exact reason he wanted to try out for the part.  He felt rather than trust someone else to do a good job, he knew he could trust himself the most.

Paul Greenglass also directed United Flight 93, the plane that crashed on 9/11.  He brings that same intensity to this film.  Tom Hanks tells he met the four Somali actors for the first time on the day they filmed the "ship takeover" scene.  Greenglass made sure of it.  Having Hanks never see these men until they were screaming at him and pointing automatic weapons in his face; well you can imagine.  Hanks himself says he was terrified.

About Hanks - well of course he is fantastic.  He does the job we all expect him to do.  One of the greatest actors of our time.

There is a scene in the movie when Phillips (Hanks) is being told to "breathe".  I could actually hear the other movie goers - my sister and I included - letting out breath.  

This film totally sucks you in and it is a hell of a ride.  One of the best movies I have seen in a long time.  

Oscar Buzz:  

Best Picture
Director - Paul Greengrass
Actor - Tom Hanks
Supporting Actor - Barkhad Abdi

 

2 comments:

C said...

I'm dying to see this! I loved how you compared it to a horror movie. I felt that way just watching the trailer! Hopefully I'll get to see it this weekend.

Jen @ That's What She Read said...

i think this may go on our watch list for sure!