Sunday, October 6, 2013

Gravity - An Oscar Front-runner

I am a movie lover, but I have very specific tastes.  I want to either fall in love with the idea of falling in love, or I want to be so touched by a movie that I can't catch my breath.  So this movie wasn't anything I was particularly excited about seeing. 

That being said, Gravity isn't a movie you "see".  It feels more like a ride.  The special effects are out of this world (no pun intended)!  For 90 minutes, you can imagine what it must feel like to be in outer space.  You can imagine yourself if put in that situation - would you be able to keep it together?  Not panic?  The loneliness and fear Ryan Stone (Bullock) must have been feeling - it's hard to comprehend:




I was lucky enough to see this in IMAX 3D before it was released to the public.  The movie goes extremely fast and keeps your heart racing the entire time.   I especailly loved the audio - one minute so loud you could barely stand it and then deathly silence.  Exactly how I imagine space to be.  

I watched the movie through the eyes of a filmmaker and I was completely in awe.  I have no idea how they were able to make everything seem so real.  I left wanting desperately to talk to an astronaut who had seeen the movie to get their take on it.  Thanks to Eric Melin for forwarding a few articles to read - articles that interviewed astronauts who had seen the movie.  And they were impressed.  I am going to say that again:  Actual astronauts were impressed.  That seals the deal.

Sandra Bullock obviously carries the movie with just a touch of Clooney.  You have to be an amazing actor to pull something like this off.

My prediction:  Oscar nominations for Cuaron for Director.   I fully expect Gravity to take home the win in Visual Effects and it is sure to be a front runner for Best Picture.  I am leaning heavily towards Bullock for another Best Actress nod as well.

While it wasn't my favorite story, there is no denying it was a spectacular piece of work.  No doubt about it. I would encourage everyone to go see it.  In IMAX or 3D.  




1 comment:

C said...

I absolutely loved this movie! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. We saw it in 3D and I thought it was breathtaking. Sandra was amazing!