Friday, December 20, 2013

Blue Jasmine - Cate Blanchett takes the lead in my Oscar Race

Jasmine French used to be on the top of the heap as a New York socialite, but now is returning to her estranged sister in San Francisco utterly ruined. As Jasmine struggles with her haunting memories of a privileged past bearing dark realities she ignored, she tries to recover in her present. Unfortunately, it all proves a losing battle as Jasmine's narcissistic hangups and their consequences begin to overwhelm her. In doing so, her old pretensions and new deceits begin to foul up everyone's lives, especially her own. Written by Kenneth Chisholm (kchishol@rogers.com)

PG-13 98 Minutes

 


I was VERY disappointed that I missed Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine when it was released in July.  I have been chasing it ever since - obsessively checking my favorite movie websites to see if I can catch it again in some random theater somewhere. 

As the Golden Globes were announced last week , the clouds parted for me and Blue Jasmine came back around to Kansas City. Why the second tour?  Because Blanchett has received numerous awards for her role as Jasmine French - including a Golden Globe nomination.  
Ms. Blanchett had me at Hello.  She is FANTASTIC in this movie!!  Love Love Love It!!




Sally Hawkins also received a Golden Globe nod for her role as Jasmine's quirky younger sister.  She was also quite fantastic.

 


Remember Bernie Madoff?    In a nutshell, that's the headline Allen brought to life.  Jasmine French is the unsuspecting wife of  Hal French (played by Alec Baldwin) when he is arrested for a Ponzi scheme.  She is left penniless and forced to move in with her grocery clerk sister - played perfectly by Sally Hawkins.

Cate Blanchett's performance in this movie is outstanding.  She plays Jasmine of the brink of a nervous breakdown to perfection.  

Oscar Best Actress Buzz is gaining steam, and I have seen three of the performances so far:

Sandra Bullock - Gravity
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
Emma Thompson - Saving Mr. Banks

This isn't even a race. Cate wins hands down.  I will make it my goal to catch Judi Dench in Philomena and Kate Winslet in labor Day as soon as I possibly can - and will keep you posted.

Funny little tidbit I ran across - the entire costume budget for the movie was $35,000.  The Hermes bag Jasmine carries in one scene, cost more than that.  So what you will see throughout the movie are borrowed designer bags and clothes.  What would Jasmine French think!!!  I love it.

I have had quite the year - and felt myself sliding down a slippery slope of mental chaos.  It was refreshing to watch a beautiful woman who has it all try to keep it together just like the rest of us.  While she doesn't do it very well, she does remind us that we never know what goes on behind closed and just because something has Louis Vuitton stamped all over it, that doesn't mean it holds a perfect story.

All you girls should go see this movie - I PROMISE you will love it.











No comments: