Thursday, December 12, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks - Not Your Cheery Mrs. Poppins

When Walt Disney's daughters begged him to make a movie of their favorite book, P.L. Travers' "Mary Poppins," he made them a promise - one that he didn't realize would take 20 years to keep. In his quest to obtain the rights, Walt comes up against a curmudgeonly, uncompromising writer who has absolutely no intention of letting her beloved magical nanny get mauled by the Hollywood machine. But, as the books stop selling and money grows short, Travers reluctantly agrees to go to Los Angeles to hear Disney's plans for the adaptation. For those two short weeks in 1961, Walt Disney pulls out all the stops. Armed with imaginative storyboards and chirpy songs from the talented Sherman brothers, Walt launches an all-out onslaught on P.L. Travers, but the prickly author doesn't budge. He soon begins to watch helplessly as Travers becomes increasingly immovable and the rights begin to move further away from his grasp. Written by Walt Disney Pictures

PG 13    125 minutes



 
First, let me say I felt in the minority at this screening.  While other viewers were sniffling at some points, laughing aloud at others, and applauding when it ended, I sat there alone staring blankly at the screen, feeling somewhat disappointed.  

I had VERY HIGH expectations of this film.  I thought it would be all warm and fuzzy - totally "Disney-fied', but unfortunately, it wasn't.  I am also that Mom whose dream in life was to take my children to Disney World...until I did.  I was disappointed with that too.  So I don't want to ruin it for you all (Paul & Scotty), as a matter of fact I will encourage everyone to go see it.  But I don't encourage you to do so on Christmas afternoon, with all your children in tow.  It is not really a feel good movie.  As a matter of fact, I felt pretty sad when it was all over.

Emma Thompson, who just this morning received a Golden Globe nomination for her role, does an excellent job of portraying Mrs. P.L. Travers. the author who wrote Mary Poppins.  Tom Hanks is adorable, as always.

As the ever grumpy Mrs. Travers works with the folks at Disney to bring Mary Poppins to life, she is forced to reflect on her childhood and all the things that brought her imaginary nanny to life.  And this reflection is not a happy one. As a child, she endured great sadness. We watch helplessly as she tries to rescue her family from the grips of alcoholism and the tragedies that follow.   She also worries about the mental stability of adults in her life,  literally pulling someone from the very brink of insanity.  To see a child take on such huge burdens is heartbreaking.  To see an adult who never got over it, is even more so.

It's a very funny film in places - and it is VERY VERY nostalgic and well done.  I just kept imagining my friends taking their little ones to see this movie - thinking it 's a great family film, and well, it just isn't.  

Sad to say, it wasn't one of my favorites.






 

No comments: