Sunday, January 19, 2014

August: Osage County (A reminder that we all have crazy kin)

I'll admit I was a bit cynical about seeing this film.  With so many "SuperStars" in the cast, I worried we were getting lots of big names, but not much of a movie.  I am SO glad I was wrong.  August: Osage County was a great movie - full of laughs as well as cringe-worthy moments.  Meryl Streep was FANTASTIC.

Rated R    121 minutes



I think one reason I loved it so much was it made my own dysfunctional family seem pretty damn normal.  Every family has intricate relationships that have been woven over many, many years.  In some families, even my own, it's just best to part ways and say "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya" and call it a day.  This movie shines a bright light on the fact that ot all families are not "The Cleavers." 

Juliette Lewis was great in this movie - she knew the character so well and delivered her lines perfectly.  In every family there is the one person who pretends like nothing is going on.  This is her role.  To put on a brave face and never let them see her sweat.  And she does it amazingly.



Julia Roberts shows true acting chops - no damsel in distress here - no glamorous wardrobe.  Just Julia - proving how talented she really is.  I related most with her character, probably because I am also the oldest of three girls.  She is absolutely exhausted and carries the weight of "this whole mess" squarely on her shoulders.  Brilliant.



When Meryl Streep started getting Oscar Buzz, I was just a bit miffed.  I was worried about "my" Cate Blanchett and how a powerhouse like Meryl would ruin everything for her.  I was worried Meryl being Meryl meant she was a shoe-in to sweep all the awards.  Until I saw this movie and her role.   If they call out her name on Oscar night, I will be a little sad for Cate, but I will applaud and call out Bravo! because this is an Oscar worthy performance once again.  She was just magnificent.


The entire cast was so spectacular I could write about why I loved each and every one of them.   I loved this movie, and I truly think you will too.  But let me apologize in advance for the one line that you will not be able to get out of your head.  "Eat your fish!  Eat your God damn fish!"


1 comment:

C said...

I'm going to see this today! So excited!