Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Gone Girl

As a big fan of the novel "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, I couldn't wait to see the movie.  Blogger @thatiswhatsheread and I have been talking about it for MONTHS.


When the trailer came out - our excitement could hardly be contained.  


 


When the screening invite arrived in my email, I couldn't call her fast enough to secure the date.  She texted me to say she had a conflict - very sketchy.  I couldn't believe she was ditching me - it is all we had talked about.  Fast forward to the Monday screening date, and she is on a beach somewhere on her honeymoon, following a surprise elopement.  I guess I can forgive her.  





OK - back to the movie...

Here's the problem with books being turned into movies.  If you read the book, you already know the storyline and how the story will end (as long as the movie stays true to the book).  Sometimes, this can really add to the movie experience.  The anticipation of the romance or a beautiful ending is really, really fun.  Knowing the villain is going to "get  his" feels very satisfying as you sit in the theater.  (Like you have a big secret that you can't share - you can tell who read the book by the smirks on all the faces in the dark room.)  But when a book such as Gone Girl - full of  twists and turns and unexpected plot changes - hits the big screen,  it has to be intense.  Even though we know the story, we still want to be surprised and entertained.  We don't literally want to "watch the book". 

First, the good news.  Rosamund Pike & Ben Affleck both gave fantastic performances.  (Indiewire lists Pike as a "Strong Contender" for a Best Actress Nod, while Ben shows up as their #12 pick)
Surprisingly, Gone Girl shows up as the #10 Best Picture contender.  

Director David Fincher doesn't disappoint in the shocking/gore factor.  One scene and one scene only - but it is there.  In all it's gory detail.  Lots of gasps in the theater that's for sure.

The bad news - I didn't love it.  My SO went to the screening with me, and he had not read the book. His review?  It was "ok".  Not a glowing review either.  For me, it felt way too safe.  I hate to say this, but it almost felt like a Lifetime movie rather than a blockbuster.  This book just blew my mind - one of my favorites of all time - so the movie could have went there - it could have went over the edge (remember Fincher's Seven!?!) but it didn't.  It just sat there - right on the edge of the cliff - but never really jumped off.

Sorry- I really, really wanted to love it - I promise I did.  I hope you do!   I am not saying "don't waste your money" but I am saying don't go in with too high of expectations.  And for God's sake, if you haven't read the book yet - JUST DON'T DO IT!!!

Follow me on facebook and twitter @take2review 
Tune in to KQTV every Thursday to Live at Five for my weekly movie reviews.

I would love to hear from you!









No comments: