Sunday, January 25, 2015

My First Critics Choice Awards



I have been back in Missouri for a week already and I still can't begin to put into words the fun I had attending my first Critics Choice Awards.  But I promised I would try, so here we go.




The day we arrived was a whirlwind (see earlier post about our Ellen segment), and it ended at the Critics Choice Pre-Party held at iPic

 
 
 
iPic is a spectacular theater experience - Jessica and I sat cozy by the fires - the food and drinks were over the top.  A great way to start our trip.
 
This is also where I met Aaron Dicer, who proved to be quite the entertainer.  (This pic is of us on our way to the After-party the next night)
 
 

 
The next day was all about getting glam.  Jessica and I put our trust in the hands of the team at blo Blow-Dry Bar in West Hollywood. 

 
 

 
They were very sweet and made us feel right at home - even letting us keep our bags there overnight , saving us a trip back to our hotel.  
 
I think they did a great job,  don't you?
 
 
 
The Awards Ceremony was held at the Hollywood Palladium, which was fabulous. 
 
 
 
 
Aaron took a quick picture of us and then he was off schmoozing with the celebrities.  This was old hat to him.  Next year, I will take everything I learned from him and get better pictures, I promise!
 
 
 
We were seated at Table 68.  See those beautiful books, I lost mine somewhere in the night.  It is my one regret.  Darn I wish I still had it.
 
 
 
 
 
We were seated with the folks from Bold Films.  They produced Whiplash and Nightcrawler this year - both films I loved.  Pretty happy with our table!!
 
 
 
 
John Krasinski and Emily Blunt were adorable to watch. 
 
 
 
Oprah was two tables away from us.  So surreal.  She is a presence, let me tell you.
 
 
 
John De Simio, Executive Vice President of the Broadcast Film Critics Association. 
 
 
 
 
When Angelina arrived, she walked by our table and said hello to both of us.  She is very beautiful.  During the breaks, Jessica did her best to talk to Angelina, but she was a popular girl.  She did manage to snap this picture of another woman's hand taking a picture of Angelina. 
 

 
I managed to speak with Julianne Moore for a few seconds - I hate this cheesy grin, but it does sum up my feelings at the moment.  I could hardly contain my excitement.  Julianne was very kind and gracious.  And tiny.  Everyone is tiny.
 
I also spoke with Michael Keaton  and David Oyelowo, and exchanged hellos with Reese Witherspoon in the ladies room.  Everyone we met was so friendly and genuinely nice.
 
After the awards, cars were waiting and whisked us away to the Hollywood Athletic Club for the Afterparty
 
 
 
The food and atmosphere at the Hollywood Athletic Club were over the top.  We had a wonderful time talking with other critics and film folks.  But alas, after a long day, our phones were dead so we didn't get any pictures.
 
 
The next morning, I couldn't stop smiling.  This was our lunch stop - we did all things touristy - Chinese Theater, TMZ Tour, Hollywood Sign etc.
 
 
 
We spent the last night of our trip at the Santa Monica pier - the perfect ending to a perfect trip to California.
 
 
The morning we left, Tyler Kimball was kind enough to join me for coffee.  He is the sweetest man!  He is in the movie Whiplash, which had been nominated for an Oscar just two days before our coffee date. To be part of an Oscar nominated film...neither one of us really knows what it will ultimately mean for him. But I tell you all this.  Write down his name.  Great things are heading his way.  I can feel it. 
 
***********************************
 
For the complete list of Critics Choice Award winners, click here:
 
 
 
 
Until next year!!!!

No comments: