Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Saturday Night in Oz....Sort Of

I went to see Oz the Great & Powerful in 3D last night.  I knew going in this was not the Oz of my youth - a movie wrapped tightly with annual living room picnics of frozen pizza and root beer.  Ah, happy days.






I had done my homework, and knew Warner Brothers held copyrights to not only the Ruby Slippers, but the "specific green" of the Wicked Witch and her chin-wart.  I knew this one would be different.

What I didn't expect was Disney to turn this classic tale of friendship & bravery into a "Fatal Attraction in Willy Wonkaland"

First, we have a beautiful young maiden throwing herself at the feet of a fake magician, practically begging him to ruin her life.  Lucky for her, James Franco's Oz sends her packing.  It might have been a bit more believable if James Franco's smile wasn't so greasy.  The guy had about as much charm as a modern day pimp. 

Next we have a random encounter (think "Diane Lane's windy day scene in Unfaithful") between Oz and another beautiful young maiden, albeit a bat-shit crazy one.  Somehow he manages to have her falling at his feet in under two minutes, just by asking her to dance.

Michelle Williams definitely carries the movie - she is a beautiful "Glinda the Good" and she delivers the best line of the movie, said to Oz "The only person you have fooled is yourself." There's a pretty big life lesson......



There is no question,  the 3D special effects are spectacular.  And if you thought the flying monkeys were scary in the original, be ready.  These flying ape/baboon/monkey monsters are flat-out terrifying.  (The little river fairies really freaked me out too.)



Probably the biggest disappointment was the casting of the Wicked Witches Theodora (Mila Kunis) and Evanora (Rachel Weisz).    Their heaving breasts in every scene was completely lost on me. If you know me, you know I am not a prude.  I love a nice looking breast as much as anyone.  They just seemed wierd in this movie.  The only explanation must be a sweet treat offered for all the soccer dads who were dragged kicking and screaming to the movie in the first place.

And this is the best scary wicked witch look they could come up with?  They really missed the mark.  She didn't look scary.  She just looked like a puffy, seasick super model.  Oh, and of course, with heaving breasts.


 




To sum it up, it was an enjoyable movie.  I didn't get bored, and didn't think about leaving.  I know I am still in "Oscar Movie Withdrawal".  You have to admit - the movies from 2012 will be hard acts to follow.

If you have tweens in your life, this movie will be a fun way to spend a Saturday night.  But do it in 3D or stay home.

I would give it 5 corkscrews out of 10, if I could figure out how to make them.  But I can't so I will keep working on that.



 
 


1 comment:

Peace Of You Photography said...

Great Review! We are going to go see it Thursday! Taking our oldest niece. :) Thanks for the warning about the monkeys!