Monday, March 18, 2013

The Perks of a Movie that Feels like Home


 
The Perks of Being A Wallflower - 2012
 
 
I recall seeing previews for Perks when it was tossed around during Awards season.  I thought it sounded like  Pretty in Pink circa 2012.  A coming of age movie, an age I had outgrown many, many years ago. 
 
Boy was I wrong.
 
 
I still keep secrets buried deep under my laughter and silliness.  Maybe MY STORY was the reason this movie hit so close to home. 
 
Or maybe HER STORY made this so surreal.  She is my Charlie.  My Patrick.  My Brad.  My Hero.  We will never stop trying.  This - this most difficult job. 
I sobbed the deep sobs of a Mother who is failing her child.
 
There is a consistent feeling throughout the movie – that feeling when your heart is right at the top of your throat.  And if you make a peep,  your entire soul will pour out onto the floor.  That feeling of impending doom….something really, really bad is about to happen and there is nothing you can do to stop it. 
 I thought “if Charlie were real..", but isn’t he?  Don’t we all know a Charlie?  Or at least think we do?    If Charlie were real – he would be the bravest, greatest young man on the planet.  And no one would ever know.  No one would ever take the time – or the risk - to know him.
 
When the movie ended and the music went silent, I was sad to see them go. As I watched the credits fade, it was my deepest wish they all would find not only the love they felt they deserved, but the love all misfit toys deserve.  The love of one really good friend.

No comments: