Monday, July 13, 2015

Meet Me In Montenegro - Movie Review

If you are a hopeless romantic like me, you will enjoy Meet Me In Montenegro.  Never heard of it?  Neither had I.  But I pay attention when Facebook "recommends" things to me, and this time it paid off in a sweet way.


In this personal, inter-continental love story two ex-lovers, Lina (Linnea Saasen), a Norwegian dancer and Anderson (Alex Holdridge), an American filmmaker, meet by chance during a visit to Berlin. Their romance is rekindled in spite of the fact that they are both moving to opposite ends of the earth in the next forty-eight hours. Meanwhile Anderson's friends, Stephen (Rupert Friend) and Friederike (Jennifer Ulrich), toy with exploring the sexual boundaries of their long-term relationship. Berlin nestles these couples in her outstretched streets, while they wrestle with the perennial challenge of finding love, recognizing it and keeping it alive.
Written by Anonymous (IMDB) Rated PG-13

~~~~~~~~~
I spent yesterday afternoon doing one of my favorite things;  losing myself in a sweet little romantic comedy.  

I loved the rhythm of this film - I was never exactly sure how things were going to end.  Back and forth - up and down.  Is she good?  Is she bad?  Is he going to be ok?  Is he bad? Will he leave her? Will she leave him?  Can they make it?  It was very unpredictable, but isn't real love?

I loved Alex Holdridge as Anderson -  in all his goofiness and odd little outfits.  So many times movies bring us unrealistic human beings - so perfectly beautiful we can't really connect. Not so in this film. Our lovers here are real, clumsy, messy, everyday people. But like the rest of us in the real world, they love.  They make mistakes.  They forgive.  They move on. They walk away. They regret.  They do second chances.

I am also in love with the whimsical sketches and graffiti sprinkled throughout the movie. Animation from Anderson's journal morphing into a scene added one more level to the intimacy I felt with his character.  

Tie this all up with a cool soundtrack and the backdrop of Berlin and Montenegro and you really have a winner.  I highly recommend!







No comments: