Thursday, November 7, 2013

Oscar Buzz - Let the Games Begin


Up until November each year, the highlight of my week is updating my Oscar predictions - adding the movies I saw that week - checking DVD release dates, updating screening RSVP's.  Once I flip that damn October calendar, what once was the "highlight" is now my BIGGEST FEAR.  You see - I live in Missouri.  Rural Missouri.  So if by chance I miss a first run for a movie - it is difficult to catch up.  

Case in point, my current chase - Blue Jasmine:



It was in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago, so it was on my radar.  Now that I have time to actually go see it, I can't find it anywhere.  I have gotten myself so worked up, I had to start drinking wine every night to calm down. (OK - I do that anyway, I'm just saying....)

Because I didn't have any screenings this week, and because I am still traumatized by my screening last week of 12 Years A Slave...



....I thought I would check out a couple of movies that are getting a bit of Oscar buzz - ones I somehow missed in the first run.  The first movie I watched was "Before Midnight" starring Ethan Hawke.  Why is it getting buzz? Don't ask me.  I hated it.  It was the most boring movie I have seen since I tried to get through The Tree of Life a couple of years ago.  But here's the trailer anyway:



And that is all you will get.  This couple talking and talking and talking and talking....unless something big happened during my nap (I must have dozed off three times before giving up).  I had a journalist/facebook friend tell me he loved it,  so I am obviously missing something here - but my opinion:  Snoozefest.

Not one to give up too quickly, I moved on to Missed Movie #2:  The Place Beyond The Pines.  I heard alot of negative reviews about Gosling and this film, so I thought the buzz would quiet down, but it's still there in my ear - so I thought I would give it a shot.  And I am SOOO glad I did.



What a great movie.  What a great role for Gosling - I thought he played it with perfection. One critique - Eva Mendez did not pull off her "haggard middle aged woman look" very well.  Surely Hollywood can do better!  I started the movie at 10:30pm - way past my bedtime mind you - and I was riveted.  Loved it - recommend it - still thinking about it today.  Is it Oscar worthy? Not with the current competition - but I am glad I got to see it and I can check it off my list.

Now let's talk about those Oscar contenders, shall we?

Certain to Make the List: (from the people in the know - indiewire.com)
Huge Possibilities:

  • American Hustle
  • Wolf of Wall Street
Maybe/Maybe Not:
  • Nebraska
  • Her
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Blue Jasmine
  • The Butler (What the heck?  I never wrote my review?!?!  Stay tuned!!)
  • August Osage County
The Competition May Be Too Stiff:

My Top Five predictions (so far, based only on movies I have seen):

  • 12 Years A Slave (And the Oscar goes to! My final answer.  Best Picture of the Year) 
  • Captain Phillips
  • Fruitvale Station
  • The Butler
  • Gravity (this is a very soft 5th place.  It was a great movie as far as the MAKING OF A MOVIE, but it doesn't hold a candle to the other four in regards to the stories being told and the talented cast involved.)

I considered posting all these trailers, but I have instead decided to post them to my Take2reviewchick Facebook Page over the next week.  I will also tweet them.  So please like my page on facebook, follow me on twitter @take2review  and let me know what movies you are loving this Awards Season!

And please - if there is a movie you are DYING to see - let me know!  Who knows, maybe we can take in a screening together if you are in the KC area!

Happy Movie Watching!





No comments: